All of Washington State and much of the nation will be watching the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 1. Many of us will be doing so with friends. Whether you are looking for snacks or a meal idea, I have some ideas for you. Continue reading
Are you looking for quick ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Here are two simple meals that will work any time of day.
The kids thought they were getting a treat last night when I made plantain nachos for dinner but these are not junk food. Pan-fried plantains are topped with a mix of grass-fed ground beef, peppers and carrot seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano. We garnished the nachos with fresh cilantro (great for detoxing the body of heavy metals and other toxins), tomatoes, green onions and avocado. Fresh green beans rounded out the meal.
My breakfast this morning of sweet potato stuffed with grass-fed beef and plenty of colorful vegetables (left over from last night). Grass-fed butter and fermented horseradish add extra nutrition and will keep me full through a hectic day.
What are you cooking this week?
Known in the nutrition world as “liquid gold,” bone broth contains a host of vitamins and minerals that promote health, health the gut and reduce inflammation. The old adage that chicken soup will cure a cold may stem from the health benefits of the broth. Science now tells us that bone broth contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulfur and trace minerals in a form that is easily absorbed. It also contains glucosamine, an expensive supplement used to support joint health. Now for the really good news – it is easy and inexpensive to make at home! Continue reading
• 1 c ground sausage
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3-4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
• 2 handful of kale (or greens of choice), chopped
• 8 eggs
• Salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Lightly grease a deep dish pie pan with fat
3. Sauté sausage over medium heat until cooked through
4. Remove sausage from pan and sauté’ onions
5. Whisk eggs and seasoning
6. Layer ingredients as follows
d. Bacon bits
7. Pour eggs and seasoning evenly over other ingredients
8. Bake 50-60 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean
9. Serve immediately