I have been playing around with pizza crust recipes looking for the prefect crispness and flavor since eliminating gluten from my diet several years ago. After this weekend I have stopped trying to create my own because I found this recipe from Primally Inspired. It is nut-free and the perfect texture to pick up and enjoy.
See Kelly’s pictures and notes here: http://www.primallyinspired.com/grain-free-pizza-crust-paleo/
- 1 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot powder (I use THIS)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- optional: 3 tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese (I omit for dairy-free and prefer it omitted, but my husband likes his better with it in so you pick!)
- ⅓ cup avocado oil, olive oil, or other fat of choice (I use THIS)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup coconut flour (find HERE)
- optional: 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, add in your tapioca flour and sea salt (and cheese, if using). Set aside.
- In a small pot over medium heat, add your oil, water, apple cider vinegar and minced garlic clove.
- As it heats up and comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add it to your tapioca flour bowl. Stir until combined. Set aside for about 2 minutes to cool.
- Once it’s not hot to the touch, add in your egg. Stir until combined.
- Add in your coconut flour (and Italian seasoning, if using) and stir until the coconut flour is absorbed and it becomes dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and press or roll out on a parchment lined or lightly greased pizza stone or baking pan. You will have enough dough to do a 12 to 14 inch circle.
- Bake 14-15 minutes or just until the crust starts to become a very light golden brown.
- Remove from oven, add your toppings and bake for 3-5 more minutes. Enjoy!
This is what my pizza looked like. It was topped with pesto, prosciutto, feta, greens and mushrooms by my favorite 5 year-old helper.