A little kitchen science to amaze your kids with. You can create green baked goods but substituting sunbutter for other nut butters in your cookies. Another option is to replace the almond flour in these fantastic chocolate chip cookies with sunflower seeds that have been ground to flour in your food processor or blender. My son was thrilled when I put these in his lunchbox this morning.
Real deal chocolate-chip cookies
From Against All Grain by Danielle Walker
¼ cup palm shortening
1 egg at room temperature
¼ cup coconut crystals
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup dark-chocolate pieces
¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the shortening and egg in a food processor and process for 15 seconds.
3. Add the coconut crystals, honey, and vanilla extract. Process again until combined
4. Add the flours, baking soda, and salt and process for 30 seconds.
5. Scrape down the sides and pulse again if necessary to fully incorporate the dry ingredients.
6. Stir the chocolate in by hand.
7. Use a large tablespoon to scoop balls of the dough, placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly press them down to flatten, making disks about ½-inch thick.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, until the cookies are browned around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.